How to measure for window blinds
Here's our helpful guide on how to measure for bespoke made-to-order window blinds.
Before you start to measure your window for your new blinds you need to decide whether the blinds will be positioned in the recess of the window or on the outside of the window. We recommend that you use a metal tape for a more accurate reading. If you are not sure how you would like your custom window blinds to be made, please do ask us and we'd be happy to offer guidance and interior design advice if you'd like it, when ordering your made-to-measure blinds.
Measuring windows for recessed blinds
To measure for blind positioned in the recess of the window:
- Ensure the recess is free from anything that may obstruct the blind when it is fully extended, such as tiles or window handles.
- Measure the width by measuring the distance between the two inside walls, we recommend doing this in several places to give the most accurate reading (A - B).
- To measure the drop, measure inside the window from the sill to the top (C - D). See the diagram for help.
Measuring windows for blinds outside window recess
To measure for a blind positioned outside of the recess:
- Firstly decide on how much you want the blind to overlap the window, we suggest at least 5cm on all sides.
- To measure the width measure from where you have allowed for the overlap on one side to the other side (E - F).
- To measure the drop measure from the overlap at the top to the bottom (G - H). See the diagram below. Please note: When measuring for a roller blind the material will be approximately 3.5cm less than the overall blind you must allow for this.